Thursday, June 30, 2011

Kefir and Pee

Ok, so I tried a Kefir smoothie today for my "Day 4" breakfast. After my boss/diet buddy had informed me while shopping that I likely wouldn't like the consistency, and then reading online after I had purchased it, that it is actually a "fermented milk", I had my concerns. I just KNEW it was going to taste terrible and I would have to down it with nosed plugged, much like the horrible chalk-flavoured "drink" they give a patient who is having an Upper-GI performed on them.

I poured my 1 cup of kefir, 1 tablespoon of flaxseed oil, 1 cup of fresh raspberries, 1 tablespoon of sugar-free blueberry jam and a handful of ice into the blender and turned it on. I watched as the colours of the raspberries and blueberries mixed with the Kefir, and it actually looked pretty good - but looks can be very deceiving. Much like if presented the right way, a plate of liver and onions can look pretty appetizing.

I poured the concoction into a tall glass and plugged my nose, ready to down the large drink in one go. "No!" I thought to myself... "Be brave... give it a taste". So, I did. Absolutely.... DELICIOUS! Much, much better than the plain ol' fat-free, sugar-free yogurt I have been having mixed with a little bit of jam.

I am pleased!

The only thing in this fourth day that I am really having trouble with is the amount of water I have to drink. Thankfully, green tea is allowed at every meal; I don't think I could go without my tea. The trouble is, I have to drink 8, 8oz. glasses of water in a day. For someone who drinks about the maximum of three glasses of tea on a regular, I feel like all I am doing is drinking (and peeing) all day long. I have started to drink hot water though, instead of cold. I think I have tricked my mind into thinking that the couple of drops of lemon I add to it makes it tea. :)

Have to run... gotta pee... again!

2 comments:

arlene said...

Gotta love those fermented foods! Good luck on your journey. It's great to find a way that suits how we can actually eat, isn't it?

Monkey Mar said...

Thanks so much, Arlene! I'm pushin' along! I'm looking forward to the second 17-day cycle, when I will be able to incorporate more variety into the diet!!